Thursday 4 September 2008

Great Bargain, But Whats the Cost.

The headlines this week bring into sharp focus the effect human activity is having on world climate. No matter what stance you take on this issue, it can not be denied that we, all of us, share a collective responsibility to our host, mother Earth. From a furniture oriented point of view (This blog is after all about furniture) what can we do to ensure we leave our generous planet earth in the same way or better than our generation found her? Firstly, we could ask ourselves it those furniture imports are such a bargain. Where do they come from? What timber are they made of and did it come from a sustainable source? It's all too tempting when we see a solid hardwood dining suite, imported say from Indonesia, to look at the price and think, could one table and a few chairs really make a difference. None of us are immune, as I write we have two hardwood garden chairs my wife bought in all innocence that can be seen to have a dubious heritage.
It's not that easy when principals hit you in the pocket. I know this only too well from personal experience. In 2000 I decided to stop using exotic timber in my workshop. This was a difficult choice as my main line of income was supplying the antique trade with replica Queen Anne and Georgian chairs. Authentically made from imported Mahogany, but I was carried away with Millennium fervour and recklessly told my customers they could go elsewhere. Just to make doubly sure they could not reach me again, I moved to France. Talk about burning your boats.

I was lured to this region by the magnificent oak forests, le tronçais, my local is the largest and oldest oak forest in Europe. Generally speaking, deciduous forests like this are regenerating while tropical hardwood forests are not; there is also the question of transport. Some of you detective types may have noticed that I still restore antiques, this is true. However I can honestly say that I have not purchased any exotic timber since making my decision. Since that time I have managed to find all the timber I needed from old irreparable pieces of furniture. However in future I may be forced to purchase the odd bit of veneer. From a certified source of course.

Not easy, as I said, but doable and while I don’t expect everyone to take the drastic steps I have, I probably have earned the right to ask what they themselves are doing. So what are you doing? Please write in with your own story or comments. Even if you don’t believe in climate change and this is a valid point of view, you still do have a duty to the planet and your environment. So again what are you doing about it?

No comments: